This article will show you how to integrate PayPal Express Checkout into your 3dcart store.
PayPal Express is automatically enabled when using PayPal Payments Pro, and PayPal (Powered by Braintree). The purpose of this article is for individuals who would like to integrate PayPal Express as its own stand alone payment module.
To enable PayPal Express Checkout on your store, use the following steps:
- Log into your 3dcart Online Store Manager.
- Using the left hand navigation menu, go to Settings >Payment
- Once in the Payment page, click on the "Select Payment Methods" button
This will take you to the area of the Online Store Manager where you can add or review your store's payment modules. Along the top of the page, you will see pre-installed payment modules within a section labeled "Recommended Payment Solutions." Further down the page you will see a section labeled "Payment Methods" where you can manually install payment modules.
- Look towards the top right of the Payment Methods section and click on the "Add New" button.
A small popup window labeled "Add New Payment Method" will appear with your preliminary settings.
- In the Payment Method field, scroll down to the "Alternative Payments" section and choose PayPal Express Checkout.
- Select the Country and State you would like this payment method to apply to.
- Choose the Minimum and Maximum order amounts this payment method will apply for.
- Choose the Customer Group you would like the payment method to apply for.
- Click on the "Add New" button to install the module.
The payment method will now be added. Your next step is to configure its account settings.
- Look for the payment method in your list, then look to the far right of it and make sure its toggle is turned to the "On" position.
- Type in the email address associated with your Paypal account in the "PayPal Email" field.
At this time in the process, you can also mark the following checkboxes:
- Authorize Only
This checkbox will allow the payment to go through as an authorization for the amount of the order, but will not collect payment until you are ready. Click here for more information
- Enable Billing Agreement
Select this option if you have reference transactions enabled on your PayPal account which can be used with 3dcart's AutoShip add-on.
- Do not retrieve customer address from PayPal
Normally, when the customer is redirected to PayPal and logs into their PayPal account, their address information is retrieved and automatically added to the checkout on your store. Marking this checkbox will make it so that the address information is not retrieved thereby requiring the shopper to manually add it on the page during checkout.
- Allow guest checkout without PayPal account
Marking this checkbox will make it so that your shopper can complete the checkout process on PayPal's side but without having to create or log into a PayPal account.
- Add a PayPal Credit Payment Button
Select this option to offer PayPal Credit to your shoppers as they purchase from your store. Click here for details.
- Once you are done with your settings, click "Save" at the top right to commit your changes.
Your store is now set up to take orders using PayPal Express Checkout.
PayPal Express Smart Payment Buttons
Beginning with version 8.2 of the 3dcart software, PayPal Express also includes integration with PayPal's Smart Payments button. This is a function that lets your store intelligently present the most relevant payment types to your shoppers - thereby making it easier for them to complete their purchase using methods like Pay with Venmo, PayPal Credit, and local alternative payment types.
Venmo users will need to have the Venmo app installed on their mobile device in order to see the Venmo option. Please click here for more information.
The new smart payment button feature also changes the way shoppers log into their PayPal Express accounts. In previous versions of PayPal Express, the customer would be redirected (from your store), to the PayPal Express login pages to complete their transactions.
In the current version of PayPal Express, the customer is no longer redirected back and forth. Instead, they fill out their credit card information in an embedded frame of your site, if they select Visa, MasterCard or Discover. (If they select Amex, a popup window will appear for them that lets them log into their PayPal Account and complete the transaction). The advantage is that - visually - they are not being directed and redirected to and from your store but rather appear to never leave your store at all.
If your store's PayPal Express option is still redirecting customers in the old fashion, then you likely have customizations to your view cart and checkout templates that are not favoring the new functionality.
To correct this, please be sure that your store is using the most up to date version of the following HTML templates:
For more information on how to update your template files to the latest version, please click here.