There may be times when you need to process an additional charge on the customer's order. Perhaps due to an increase in shipping, or maybe the shopper simply wanted to add an item to their order after it was placed.
For these types of situations, the Virtual Terminal can come in handy. To use Virtual Terminal, follow these steps:
- Log into your 3dcart Online Store Manager
- Using the left hand navigation menu, go to Orders ->Manage Orders
- Locate and open the order that you would like to use Virtual Terminal On.
These instructions assume that you've already made the changes to the order to increase the balance on the order. For example, increasing the shipping amount, increasing the unit price or number of units, etc. Anything that would increase the total on the order and result in a balance being owed.
While viewing the order details, look to the top right of the page and locate the "Actions" button
- Click on the "Actions" button and select "Virtual Terminal"
The customer's billing and shipping information will be populated in the fields (taken from the order).
- Scroll down to the Payment Details section
- Select the payment method* from your store that will be used to process the new payment.
While Virtual Terminal will be available with most gateways, there are some that it won't work with. This includes redirect payment gateways (like PayPal Standard and Express), and hosted gateways (like PayPal Advanced and PayPal Payflow Pro Link).
- Enter the customer's credit card information and the amount that will be charged
- Scroll back to the top and click on the "Process Payment" button to charge the customer's card.
The main function of the Virtual Terminal is to process a live charge to the customer for additional balances on the order. It is not intended for refunds or crediting charges to the customer. Furthermore, you will need to have the customer's credit card information on hand to enter it into the terminal.
However, if your particular gateway offers tokenization (example: Authorize.net's CIM module), then you may also have the option to charge the "card on file" when using virtual terminal.
- What is the Virtual Manager?
- How do I charge for a balance increase?
- Can I place and additional charge on the customer's credit card?