This guide will give you a step-by-step process on how to import images to the image gallery.
Import Images to the Image Gallery
Please be aware that the image gallery is only to be used when your product has more than 4 images assigned to it (via the Images tab in the Online Store Manager)
The first four images of the product can be imported using the regular product import CSV file.
The image gallery allows you to add an unlimited number of additional images for a product that will display on the product's listing page.
- Go to Products >Product List
- Look towards the top right of the page and click on the "Export/Import" button
The Export/Import page will contain Export options on the left hand side and Import options on the right hand side.
- Look towards the right hand side of the page and click on the +Icon next to "Image Gallery "
- Next, click on the "Sample File" link to download a clean copy of the import CSV
This file will give you a template of what information to include in your spreadsheet so you may import your information to your online store.
- Open the file into a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice Calc
Here is a sample of what the spreadsheet file will look like:
You may now add image information to the proper columns
You will first need to have the images uploaded to your site either by using FTP or the File Manager.
Below is a brief description of each field.
Do not remove, add, or edit any columns to this file. If you do not have a need for a column please leave it blank. This is the exact format the file needs to be to import your Image Gallery information properly.
This is an auto generated field from the system export. It's not required for the Import but the column must exist.
Item Part Number or ID as the unique identifier to add the images to. It could be omitted when using the cataloged.
Database ID for the product as the unique identifier to add the images to. It could be omitted when using the productid.
path to the image that will be added to the image gallery, i.e. "assets/images/default.jpg".
text caption for the image, it displays on the top section of the image gallery.
sort order for the images inside the gallery
- Once you have completed the spreadsheet, save the file.
Be sure to save it as a CSV file
- Login to your admin and go to Products >Product List
- Next, look towards the top right of the page and click on the "Export/Import" button
- Go to the right hand side of the page and click on the +Icon next to "Image Gallery " to expand the selection
- Click on the "Browse" button and go to the CSV file on your computer.
- Click Import Data
Please be aware that the import function has a limit of 30 megabytes. If the CSV you are trying to import is larger than this, please split it up into separate, smaller files no larger than 30MB each.
The actual import/export process takes place "behind the scenes" of your store's software to prevent it from interfering with your store's active processes. By allowing the function to work in the background, you can go to other pages of the admin and still work on your store while importing or exporting large files.
During the process, you will be taken to the Import/Export Status page which will display a grid layout of your recent imports and exports. The progress column will show you the progress of the import.
At the far right of each grid item will be an action wheel that contains the following options:
- Download: Allows you to download the CSV file after a successful import/export
- Notify Me: For larger, more time consuming files; this option will let you input your email address so that you will receive a notice once the import/export is complete.
- View Log: Allows you to review the log of the import/export so you can see how many items were updated, inserted or if any records failed.
- Cancel: Allows you to cancel an impending import/export
- Retry: If for some reason the import/export fails, you may use this option to attempt a retry of the file.
- Delete: Use this to delete the record altogether from the status page.
This will be present in all of the store's Export/Import functions.
Please make sure your store's secure URL is pointing to your 3dcart store.
Upon a successful import, your product options will be added to the store.
Please note that the image gallery import function is intended to populate the product image galleries. It is not configured to add only new gallery images to your products.
Any time the Image Gallery import is used, it will first clear out your existing gallery images and insert the records found in the imported CSV.
In other words, let's say you currently have 9 images in a product's gallery and you use the CSV import to insert a 10th image. Your CSV file will still need to contain the first 9 image paths in it. Otherwise, the import will clear out the existing gallery and insert only the 1 image.