This article will give you a step-by-step process on how to import your product options.
Import Product Options
To import product options (size, colors, etc), please make sure your products have already been imported. You cannot import your product options if your products do not already exist in the system.
While logged into your 3dcart Online Store Manager, use the left hand navigation menu and:
- Go to Products >Product List
- Look towards the top right of the page and click on the "Export/Import" button
The Export/Import page will contain Export options on the left hand side and Import options on the right hand side.
- Look towards the right hand side of the page and click on the +Icon next to "Options"
- Next, click on the "Sample File" link to download a clean copy of the import CSV
This file will give you a template of what information to include in your spreadsheet so you may import your information to your online store.
- Open the file into a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice Calc
Here is a sample of what the spreadsheet file will look like:
You may now add product option information to the proper columns.
Here is a description of each field:
Do not remove, add, or edit any columns to this file. If you do not have a need for a column please leave it blank. This is the exact format the file needs to be to import your Product Option information properly.
This field is filled in by the system. If you are doing a fresh import of new options then leave this field blank. The system will assign this ID.
This field is required. This is the id of the product that this option will be for. Make sure that the id matches the product.
If you are doing a fresh import leave this field blank. It will be filled in by the system.
This is the Name of the option (i.e. Color, Size). This field is required.
If the Feature Caption field is left blank, the system will not allow you to import the Product Option information.
This is the type of option you want to have. (i.e. Checkbox, Radio Button, Dropdown Menu). The acceptable paramaters are Dropdown, Radio, Checkbox, Title, Text, Textarea, DropImage, File.
This tells the system if this option is required or not. 0 = no 1 = yes
This field defines the order of the options. It only applies when there is more than one option. If no sorting is desired simply fill in 0 for all options.
This field is used to define a URL for additional information. If filled out the info icon will show and be a link to this URL. This field is not required. If no url is desired then leave field blank.
This field is used to define additional information about the option. If filled out the info icon will show and be a link to a pop up which will display this additional information. This field is not required. If no info is desired then leave field blank.
This field is only used when updating options. It is required and pre-filled by the system. If you are doing a fresh import then leave this field blank.
This is the name of the option. (i.e. Red, White, Blue or Small, Medium, Large). This field is required.
If the Feature Name field is left blank, the system will not allow you to import the Product Option information.
This field defines an additional value for the option. When this option is filled in this value will be added to the base price of the product. If no additional value is desired then leave field blank.
This field defines the order used to display the option values. If no order is desired then enter 0.
This field is used to define a specific id to this particular option (Ex. If you have a Size option of Small, Medium and Large; each option can have it's own unique id. Small can be sm001, Medium can be med1001, Large can be lrg1001).
This field only applies if you are using DropImage for the Feature Type. This should include the path to the image.
This field defines which option should be pre-selected by default. Enter 1 for the option you want to be pre-selected.
This field defines if the option should be hidden from the customer. Enter 1 if you want the option to be hidden.
- Once you have completed the spreadsheet, save the file.
Be sure to save it as a CSV file
- Login to your admin and go to Products >Product List
- Next, look towards the top right of the page and click on the "Export/Import" button
- Go to the right hand side of the page and click on the +Icon next to "Options" to expand the selection
- Click on the "Browse" button and go to the CSV file on your computer.
- Click Import Data
Upon a successful import, your product options will be added to the store.
The actual import/export process takes place "behind the scenes" of your store's software to prevent it from interfering with your store's active processes. By allowing the function to work in the background, you can go to other pages of the admin and still work on your store while importing or exporting large files.
During the process, you will be taken to the Import/Export Status page which will display a grid layout of your recent imports and exports. The progress column will show you the progress of the import.
At the far right of each grid item will be an action wheel that contains the following options:
- Download: Allows you to download the CSV file after a successful import/export
- Notify Me: For larger, more time consuming files; this option will let you input your email address so that you will receive a notice once the import/export is complete.
- View Log: Allows you to review the log of the import/export so you can see how many items were updated, inserted or if any records failed.
- Cancel: Allows you to cancel an impending import/export
- Retry: If for some reason the import/export fails, you may use this option to attempt a retry of the file.
- Delete: Use this to delete the record altogether from the status page.
This will be present in all of the store's Export/Import functions.
Please make sure your store's secure URL is pointing to your 3dcart store.