This article will show you how to integrate PayPal Payments Pro (with PayPal Express) into your 3dcart account.
When you integrate PayPal Payments Pro on the store, PayPal Express will also display on your website. If you would like to integrate PayPal Express on its own (without PayPal Payments Pro) click here.
Here's a brief description of the differences between PayPal Payments Pro and PayPal Express so you're aware of how they each behave.
- PayPal Payments Pro
This account will not redirect the customer to PayPal to accept payment. The transaction is completed on your website and the payment method displays as credit card fields.
- PayPal Express
This payment method displays as a PayPal logo and opens up a pop up for the customer, allowing them to log into the PayPal website to complete the transaction. Due to PayPal standards, this logo displays on checkout step 1 or prior. This way, the customer does not have to type in their personal information twice (once on your site and once on PayPal's site).
Grant API Access
You will first need to Grant API Access to your Paypal Payments Pro account settings. To do this:
- Log into your PayPal Account
- Click on the user icon (located to the left of the log out button)
- Then click on the "Profile and settings" option shown below
- On the next page, click on the "My Selling Tools" link on the left.
- Then, look for and click on the "Update" link located to the right of "API Access" as shown below.
On the following page, You will be given two API options. In this case, you will select Option 1.
- Click on the "Grant API permision" link in Option 1 as shown.
- In the provided box, enter "paypal_api1.3dcart.com
- then click "lookup"
PayPal's interface will refresh and show you a list of all possible permissions available to the API.
- Check all boxes shown below.
There is one permission that it not available and will need to be left unchecked. It is labeled "Generate consolidated reports for all accounts"
- After selecting all the shown checkboxes, click add to grant API access.
API access is now granted for your PayPal account.
Next we will set up your Payment Module in the 3dcart store.
Insert Your Payment Method
- Once you have granted API access in the PayPal console, log into your 3dcart Online Store Manager.
- Using the left hand navigation menu, go to Settings >Payment
- Once in the Payment page, click on the "Select Payment Methods" button
This will take you to the area of the Online Store Manager where you can add or review your store's payment modules. Along the top of the page, you will see pre-installed payment modules within a section labeled "Recommended Payment Solutions." Further down the page you will see a section labeled "Payment Methods" where you can manually install payment modules.
- Look towards the top right of the Payment Methods section and click on the "Add New" button.
A small popup window labeled "Add New Payment Method" will appear with your preliminary settings.
- In the Payment Method field, scroll down to the "Alternative Payments" section and choose PayPal Payments Pro.
- Select the Country and State you would like this payment method to apply to.
Remember, if you have a PayPal Payments Pro account, it will automatically integrate PayPal Express when you add the Pro method. Also, if you're looking to only add PayPal Express, you can find the steps outlined here.
- Choose the Minimum and Maximum order amounts this payment method will apply for.
- Choose the Customer Group you would like the payment method to apply for.
- Click on the "Add New" button to install the module.
The payment method will now be added. Your next step is to configure its account settings.
- Look for the payment method in your list, then look to the far right of it and make sure its toggle is turned to the "On" position.
- Type in the email address associated with your Paypal account in the "PayPal Email" field.
At this time in the process, you can also mark the following checkboxes:
- Authorize Only
This checkbox will allow the payment to go through as an authorization for the amount of the order, but will not collect payment until you are ready. Click here for more information
- Enable Billing Agreement
Select this option if you have reference transactions enabled on your PayPal account which can be used with 3dcart's AutoShip add-on.
- Allow guest checkout without PayPal account
Marking this checkbox will make it so that your shopper can complete begin the checkout process on PayPal's side but without having to create or log into a PayPal account.
- Add a PayPal Credit Payment Button
Select this option to offer PayPal Credit to your shoppers as they purchase from your store. Click here for details.
- Once you are done with your settings, click "Save" at the top right to commit your changes.
Your store is now set up to take orders using PayPal Payments Pro.
As mentioned, PayPal Payments Pro automatically adds PayPal Express as an additional payment option. In previous versions of PayPal Express, the customer would be redirected (from your store), to the PayPal Express login pages to complete their transactions.
In the current version of PayPal Express, the customer is no longer redirected back and forth. Instead, a popup window will appear for them that lets them log into their PayPal Account and complete the transaction. The advantage is that - visually - they are not being directed and redirected to and from your store but rather appear to never leave your store at all.
If your store's PayPal Express option is still redirecting customers in the old fashion, then you likely have customizations to your view cart and checkout templates that are not favoring the new functionality.
To correct this, please be sure that your store is using the most up to date version of the following HTML templates:
For more information on how to update your template files to the latest version, please click here.