If you have an existing website which you are migrating over to 3dcart, you can use 301 redirects to preserve your established URLs to your new 3dcart website.
A 301 redirect simply takes the entered URL for a requested resource and redirects the browser to its new location.
For example, let's say you have a product on your old store which was represented as http://www.yourdomain.com/product_A_.html. However, now that you're on 3dcart, that same product is listed as http://www.yourdomain.com/product_p_01.html or something similar. With a 301 redirect, visitors clicking or going directly to the old URL will automatically be directed to the new location.
This functionality can keep your rankings with the search engines by minimizing the amount of URLs on your site that come up as no longer valid.
Please keep in mind the following regarding 301 redirects:
-301 redirects will NOT work if you are switching to a different domain name.
-301 redirects will NOT work if the old web page exists on your new site. For example, if you have a contact-us.html page and you migrate the exact files of that page to 3dcart, (including the same filename) a 301 redirect will not work in that situation.
-Lastly, 3dcart's 301 redirects will only apply to traffic coming INTO your 3dcart store. They cannot be used to direct traffic elsewhere outside of your 3dcart service
To create your redirects:
- Go to Marketing =>SEO Tools
- In the "Redirects" section, click on the "Edit Page Redirects" button.
- Click on the "+Add New" button
- Type in the filename of your old website URL in the URL field. For example, if your old web page URL is www.mydomain.com/contactus.html you would type "contactus.html" into the URL field (minus the quotes).
- Type the target filename of your new corresponding web page URL in the Mapped URL field. For example, if your new web page URL is www.mydomain.com/crm.asp?action=contactus you would type "crm.asp?action=contactus" into the Mapped URL field (minus the quotes).
- Click Add.
While it's very unlikely that you will ever need to exceed it, be aware that there is a 250 character limit in the URL fields for 301 redirects.
You can also perform a CSV import of your 301 redirects by clicking on the Export/Import button located at the top of the page. More information on this function can be found by clicking here.
The 301 Redirect will not work until your site goes live with 3dcart, i.e. you point the DNS of your domain to 3dcart's servers.