Shift4Shop is pre-programmed with many payment gateways from the get go. However, if a particular gateway that you want/need to use is not yet implemented, we have made it possible for that gateway's developers to create an integration on an ad hoc basis. The following instructions will allow you to add your gateway's Ad Hoc payment method to your Shift4Shop stores.
The following instructions are intended for use by the store owner/merchant who is adding the ad hoc payment gateway. If you are a programmer/developer who is interested in adding their payment gateway as an ad hoc gateway, please visit Shift4Shop's Developer Page for REST API information and resources. If you are already familiar with Shift4Shop's REST API, you may create your App in the Shift4Shop Developer Portal.
Be sure to provide the Store Owner/Merchant with your REST API app's public key so they can proceed with the steps outlined here.
Integrating With An Ad Hoc Payment App
Before proceeding with the following steps, please make sure that your desired gateway's developer has created the REST API app for the gateway, and that they've provided you with the Public Key for the app as well as any credentials you will need to use their app. Once this is done, the following steps will let you add the payment method to your store.
- Log into your Shift4Shop Online Store Manager
- Using the left hand navigation menu, go to Modules
- Once you get to thre Modules page, use the search bar at the top and search for "REST API"
- Click on the "Settings" button
Here is the section where you will connect your store to the REST API app created by your payment gateway's developer. To continue:
- Click on the "Add" button located at the top right
- Enter the REST API App's Public Key
(provided by your gateway's developer)
You will now be presented with a popup modal advising you of the permissions being used by the application.
- Mark the acknowledgment checkbox to authorize the application
- Then click on the "Authorize" button located at the bottom right of the modal.
An alternative that your Payment Gateway Developer may employ is to create an onboarding page for you to use instead of the steps outlined above. Your Payment Gateway developer will need to provide you with this information and instructions, so please check with them.
The REST API Application is now added to your store. Make a note of the REST API application's name. In the next steps, you'll add the ad hoc payment module itself.
Enabling the Ad Hoc Payment Method
While still logged into your Shift4Shop Online Store Manager:
- Use the left hand navigation menu and go to Settings >Payment
- At the Payments page, click on the "Select Payment Methods" button
On the Payment Methods page, you will see a list of "Recommended Payment Solutions" listed along the top of the page. Directly below this section, you will see your installed payment modules.
- Locate the Ad Hoc Payment method in that second section
- To the far right of it you will see an on/off switch. Click this to turn the module "On" and expand the settings for it
The ad hoc payment method will be named whatever the REST API application is named. Typically it will be listed at the top of the Payment Methods section (above your other configured payment modules).
- Enter your Credentials in the provided sections
(Again, the credentials will be provided by your gateway's developer)
- Finally click "Save" at the top right of the page to enable the payment method.
The Ad Hoc Payment module is now available to your store.
As with regular Payment Methods, the Ad Hoc Payment method will have additional settings you can fine tune on the payment module including Caption, Customer Group and Order Amount Ranges the payment method will be applicable to and more.