Shift4Shop's In-store Pickup module (Available on Pro Store plans and higher; including the Free End-to-End eCommerce Plan) will allow you to specify pickup locations for your store and assign products that will be available for pickup in the locations.
When a customer purchases items that are made available for pickup, they will be able to select the pickup option during checkout as well as the location they will pick up the order from. This order then use the selected pickup location as the its Shipping Information and calculate tax accordingly to that location.
The In-store Pickup Module is only compatible with stores using a CORE theme.
The following will show you how to set up and use the module.
Enabling the Module
- Log into your Shift4Shop Online Store Manager
- Using the left hand navigation menu, go to Modules
- On the Modules page, use the search bar at the top to search for "In-store Pickup" and locate the module
- Place a mark in the "Enabled" checkbox and click on the "Save" button at the top right
The module will be enabled on the store. Next, you will create your pickup locations.
Setting up the Pickup Locations
- With the module still in view, click on its "Settings" button
- Click on the "Add Location" button to add a location
- Specify a name for the location. This is the name that will appear to the customer in the pickup selection area.
- Click Save to proceed
After clicking save, you will see an area where you can specify the pickup location's information. By default, the store will insert your Merchant Information (from store settings) into the fields, but you may edit these to meet your needs. Note that the email address used in this area will be used to email order details when there's an incoming order coming for that location.
- Edit the Location Information details to match your in-store pickup location
- In the Pickup Instructions area, specify the pickup location's available hours and any instructions/details you wish to provide for the customer
Information you enter in the Pickup Instructions section will be shown to the customer when they select the in-store pickup options for the order.
You can enter hours for Monday-Friday as well as Saturday and Sunday separately. You can also specify if the location is closed during any of those displayed days. For example, if the location is closed on Sunday, simply mark the "closed" checkbox for Sunday and leave its hours blank.
- After you've entered the pickup location details, click "Save" to finish adding the location
- Click on the "Back" button and repeat these steps for each location you'd like to add to the store.
Your next steps will be to make products available for In-store Pickup.
Making Products Available for In-store Pickup
After enabling the module and specifying your location details, you can make products available for in-store pickup by following these steps:
- While logged into the Shift4Shop Online Store Manager:
- Go to Products >Product List
- Locate the product you'd like to edit and click on its thumbnail image or name to open it up.
- Next, go to the product's "Advanced" tab
In the Advanced Tab, scroll down to the "In-store Pickup" area and click on it to expand its view.
- Select the pickup options you'd like to make available on the product.
Your options for in-store pickup on the items are as follow:
- No Pickup Available (default setting)
The product will not be made available for any pickup options.
- Available for in-store pickup
The product will have options available for pickup as well as regular shipping/delivery options.
- In-store pickup only
The product will only be available for pickup.
- Click "Save" at the top right to complete the setup on the product.
- Repeat these steps for any other products you'd like to specify pickup options for.
Please be aware of the following behaviors that are inherent with these product pickup options:
- No Pickup Available
Products marked with "No Pickup Available" will not have any pickup options displayed at checkout. As such, the following will apply:
- They cannot be combined (in the shopping cart) with products that are set to "In-store pickup only."
- They can be combined with products marked as "Available for in-store pickup," but there will be no pickup options shown at checkout and those products will be added as part of a regular shipping order.
- Available for in-store pickup
Products marked with "Available for in-store pickup" will be shown regular shipping options as well as pickup location options during checkout.
- If they are combined with products that are marked as "No Pickup Available" in the cart, then they will only be shown delivery/shipping options.
- Similarly, if they are combined with products in the cart that are marked as "In-store pickup only," then they will only see pickup options during checkout.
- In-store pickup only
Products marked as "In-store pickup only" will only be shown pickup options during checkout. As such, the following will apply:
- They cannot be combined with products marked as "No Pickup Available."
- If combined with products marked as "Available for in-store pickup," the customer will only see pickup options during checkout.
If a customer tries to purchase a combination of an "In-store pickup only" product with a "No Pickup Available" product, they will see a message informing them to place separate orders. These same behaviors will apply when the order is generated as a phone order.
A new CSV column heading has been made available for the product import and export CSV file to facilitate the process of assigning products to in-store pickup options.
The column header is labeled in_store_pickup and it will use the following values for in-store pickup designation:
- No Pickup Available: Use 1 as the value
- Available for in-store pickup: Use 2 as the value
- In-store pickup only: Use 3 as the value
If you export your product CSV file using ALL fields, this new column header will be located at the end of the columns. You can also add it to your CSV import file as needed.
What Your Customers Will See
Products marked for In-store pickup options will display a label on the product page (as well as the QuickView popup) indicating the pickup option made available on the item.
The wording used for these labels can be edited in the Store Language section:
- Store Language Label: in-store-pickup-only
(Default label: In-store pickup only)
- Store Language Label: in-store-pickup-available
(Default label: In-store pickup)
During checkout, products marked with In-store Pickup options will be shown with a section where the customer can select your available In-store pickup locations.
- If the products are marked In-store pickup available, the customer will be able able to select In-store pickup locations or delivery/shipping options.
- If the products are marked In-store pickup only, the customer will only be able able to select In-store pickup locations.
No delivery/shipping options will be shown.
When the customer clicks on "Display Locations" on the Pickup section, they will see your available in-store pickup locations created during steps 6 through 11 (shown above). The store location, hours of operation, and pickup instructions specified for each location will be shown to the customer in this section as well.
The following Store Language labels are used for the wording found on these:
- Store Language Label: in-store-pickup-header
(Default label: In-Store Pickup)
- Store Language Label: in-store-display-locations
(Default label: Display Locations)
- Store Language Label: in-store-pickup-instruction
(Default label: Pickup Instructions)
- Store Language Label: in-store-pickup-mon-fri
(Default label: Monday to Friday)
- Store Language Label: in-store-pickup-saturday
(Default label: Saturday)
- Store Language Label: in-store-pickup-sunday
(Default label: Sunday)
- Store Language Label: in-store-pickup-closed
(Default label: CLOSED)
When an in-store pickup location is selected, the store will copy that location's address as the order "Shipping Information" and shipping costs will be removed. Furthermore, tax (if applicable) will be calculated based on the pickup location's address rather than the customer's billing address.
When the order is placed, the customer will receive the usual New Order email. An update has been made available to the email template to also include the pickup location details if applicable to the order.
The new order email template has a line in the introduction paragraph stating "You will receive an additional email once your order is shipped" which is typically applicable to regular shipped orders. However, for pickup orders, it may cause some confusion to your customers. As merchant, you may wish to review this line and perhaps edit it. You may edit the email template as needed by going to Settings >Design >Emails and editing the "New Order - Customer" template.
The email address specified for the pickup location will also receive a copy of this order notification. If no email address is specified in the In-Store Pickup Location settings, then no action is taken in this regard. Your customer will still receive their email notice, but the pickup location will not.