Beginning with version 10.2.10 of the Shift4Shop Software, merchants can add PayPal Checkout to their Shift4Shop store. With this new integration, you can give customers the option to pay with PayPal, Venmo, PayPal Credit*, and major credit cards and debit cards - on almost any device.
(Click here for more information)
The following information pertains to brand new integrations of PayPal Checkout. If your store was previously set up with one of the previous variations of PayPal, please see their respective KB article by clicking the links below.
Also note that, if you remove a previously set up version of these PayPal variants from your store, the only available method you'll be able to add is the new one described in the steps below.
PayPal Checkout Setup
- Log into your Shift4Shop Online Store Manager
- Using the left hand navigation menu, go to Settings >Payment
- Once you're on the Payment page, click on the "Select Payment Methods" button
On the Payments Methods page, you'll see a series of Recommended Payment Solutions along the top with the first one labeled "PayPal" and a toggle switch located at the far right of it.
- Click on the toggle switch to turn on the module and expand its settings.
You will see a green button labeled "Click to Connect with PayPal" within the settings.
This button will begin the onboarding process to connect your store with PayPal.
Before you click on this button, you need to select which PayPal product you would like to connect to.
Above this button you will see a dropdown menu with two options:
- PayPal Checkout + Credit Card Processing
This option allows you to accept regular PayPal payments as well as credit card orders using PayPal's payment processing functions.
- PayPal Checkout
This is the basic PayPal option which allows you to accept only PayPal payments. When using this option, your shopper will click on the PayPal Button, log into their PayPal account, and return to finish the order on your store.
- Once you've made your selection, click on the "Click to Connect with PayPal" button
A small pop-up window will appear with a login prompt.
- If you have an existing PayPal account, enter your PayPal Account Email, select your country or region and click next. You will then be prompted to completely log into your PayPal account.
- If you do not have an existing PayPal account, the onboarding process will let you set one up. Enter the email address you'd like to use, select your country or region and click next. You will then be prompted to create a PayPal business account. Follow the steps provided to create your account and PayPal login.
Once you have logged into your PayPal account, you will be prompted to accept and allow the API connection to your Shift4Shop store.
Follow any other prompts presented on the pop up window until you you see the "go back to Shift4Shop Shopping Cart Software" button. Close the popup window to complete the onboarding process. Once everything is complete, the PayPal Payment option will display a note showing you are connected.
Payment Module Settings
Once you've connected to PayPal Checkout, the payment module will have the following settings available:
Click on the caption link to change the label that is shown on the credit card option.
(This will only be effective if using PayPal + Credit Card Processing)
- Test Mode
This will set the payment method to Test Only which will allow you to place orders without actively charging the credit card/account.
- Click To Disconnect
Use this button to disconnect your store from the Connected PayPal API
- Authorize Only
This checkbox enables the payment method's Authorize Only option.
- Allow Instant payment sources only
Marking this checkbox makes it so that your customers can only pay using Instant Payment sources such as credit card payments.
(i.e. no e-checks)
- Do not retrieve customer address from PayPal
Normally, PayPal users log into their account and return to your store with their address information imported to the order. This checkbox will not pull their address information from their PayPal and instead require the shopper to enter their billing/shipping information manually during the order.
- Allow guest checkout without PayPal account
This checkbox allows a user to checkout using PayPal without the need of a PayPal account.
- Add a PayPal Credit® payment button to your store, giving customers fast, easy access to financing.
This checkbox will add PayPal Credit options to your shoppers.
- Show PayPal Credit messaging
This is an alternative to the PayPal Credit Button which will display a simple link rather than a button to the users.
- Do not show PayPal buttons on Product page
By default, PayPal buttons are shown on your product listing pages as well for the shopper's convenience. Marking this checkbox will disable that option so that PayPal buttons are shown only on the View Cart and Checkout pages.
PayPal Checkout + Credit Card Processing Display Setting
If you have selected PayPal Checkout + Credit Card Processing for your setup, you will also see a drop down labeled "Select Credit/Debit card Interface" with display options for your store front.
- Select Credit/Debit card interface
This is actually the name of the menu and not an actual selection. If left as this "option" your store will display only the PayPal button and no other options.
- Embedded on PayPal buttons (allows guest checkout)
This will utilize PayPal's Smart Buttons on the store front.
- Hosted fields (allows guest checkout, phone orders payments and virtual terminal operations)
This option will include credit card processing fields using PayPal's Payment processors.
It will also allow you to use the PayPal Creidt Card Processor Fields for placing Phone Orders from your Shift4Shop Online Store Manager.
- Hosted fields with 3d Secure (allows guest checkout, phone orders payments and virtual terminal operations)
This option will also include credit card processing fields using PayPal's processors while also using 3DS protocols through PayPal
Hosted Fields are available only for US, UK, Australia, France, Spain, & Italy
Toward the right hand side of the payment module, you will also see an "Advanced Settings" link with these options:
- Minimum Order Amount & Maximum Order Amount
Use these fields to set order amount ranges on the method if desired.
- Order Status
This option will let you send orders (placed with the payment module) to either your store's New or Unpaid order statuses.
- Customer Group
If you'd like to limit the use of the Payment module to specific customer groups, this setting will be used.
- Hosted Credit Card Fields CSS
This section allows you to slightly tailor the look and feel of the credit card fields used on the module (if using PayPal Checkout + Credit Card Processing). This styling is currently limited to the input fields (CC#, Date, CVV) of the credit card payment fields.
Once you've made your changes to the PayPal Checkout Module, click "Save" at the top right to make them live and complete your set up.